Sunday, January 20, 2008

Pretty little wall hanger

Dear Shayne,

Our house is old. We've got plaster walls. I didn't really understand what that meant to me until I decided to hang some stuff up. Then I found out you can't just use nails. You either have to use screws or a funky little wall-hanging device. They're made by a company called OOK (although there are others, but I don't think they're as good) and they look like this:
They work great, but they're not very attractive. Behind a picture, they're fine. Cause, you know, you can't see 'em. But if you want to hang a calendar or something where you would normally see the nail? Not so good.

I bought a calendar to hang in our Paris-themed bathroom (France, not Hilton) and I didn't really want that OOK hanger showing. So I came up with the idea of making it a little prettier. First, I put a ribbon between the nail and the hanger:
Then I tied that ribbon into a bow:
Pretty bow instead of ugly hook

Here's a shot of the whole thing:
Pretty bow instead of ugly hook

This might not work with every decor... in fact, it's almost a little too girly for me, really... but with the Paris-themed bathroom, I feel like a little bit more girly-ness is okay. I think it works.

love,
kelly

2 comments:

Shayne said...

The stripes look perfect with the calendar. You are so, so clever.

EricaBurnsDesigns said...

That is such a great alternative to crappy looking nails! Awesomeness!