Friday, May 30, 2008

Love is in the air...

Dear Shayne,

Oh, this is so exciting! My friend Jan is, as I write this very post, proposing to her partner of 22 years -- yay! (ETA: She said yes!) Jan asked me yesterday, "Is it difficult to make an envelope?"

In response to her question, I said, "Well, it's not difficult, really..." but that's because I am a Crazy Envelope Makin' Lady and I've got waaay too many tools for the job. So I offered to make her the envelope myself.

I am very pleased with the outcome. Here's the front:
Envelope for Lori
(She requested "purple" and "hearts." Success!)

I am not usually one to experiment with rubber stamps, but I like the effect I got here. I stamped that inner heart, then I cut out around just the heart part. Then I used the same stamp on the middle sized heart and glued the first heart where it fit. The effect is neat -- almost a cut-out look (click through to see more details).

The envelope contains an application for a marriage license, print outs of a legal statement that this marriage will not invalidate their domestic partner benefits [I don't have a link to that -- Jan?], and this article saying that same-sex marriage is now legal in California (as well it should be EVERYWHERE) and will start happening on June 17.

She also wanted to include a pair of rings that she and Lori used in a commitment ceremony they had 22 years ago. Awww.

So I took a ribbon and a little heart-shaped buckle and tied them in a bow. I also made a tag for her to write "Happy Anniversary" on. (Could this get any sweeter? Today is their 22 year anniversary. Seriously. I can't get enough of this stuff.)

While rifling through the stash, I stumbled upon paper that's got all kinds of wedding-y phrases on it like, "To have and to hold" and such. She is going to stick a photo of them (from 22 years ago! They're so adorable!) with "Will you marry me?" printed on it on top of that paper so Lori sees it when she opens the envelope. Here it is, before she put the photo in:Jan's proposal documents

Sniff! I'm getting all teary eyed. I'm so happy for them. Congratulations to Jan and Lori! (And every other person in the state of California right now who is finally able to marry whoever they damned well please.)

Yay for love! I love it!

love, (<-- see?)
kelly

8 comments:

j0zzzz said...

Hooray! I'm so happy for them and everyone else in California! Everything looks so lovely! I could tell how exited Jan is, she showed me the envelope four times today! :D

Ms. Ganshirt said...

That is such a beautiful envelope...and how exciting that you get to be a part of your friend's big proposal. Yay Kelly! Yay Jan & Lori!

Unknown said...

The envelope was a HUGE hit; thanks Kelly! It's absolutely a work of art. And it made up for the fact that I didn't get her birthday socks knit up in time. (Yesterday was also Lori's birthday. Yes, our anniversary and her birthday are the same day. Say it with me now: awwwwww.) (And the birthday socks should be finished tonight.)

The domestic partner info is here, and the way I read it, it says the DP remains in place unless we explicitly dissolve it (which ain't happenin'! Hurray for love!)

Sutter Schumacher said...

Yay for your handiwork, Kelly! And five gigantic 'yays' for you, Jan (and Lori, of course)!! Warmest congratulations!

Castro Valley Farmers Market said...

Yea! Congrats Jan and Lori! I'm so glad that you can finally have your wedding day! I'm glad the envelope and all it's loved up contents were a hit. Screw the socks... hooray to being ENGAGED! (although the socks are lookin' good :)

Unknown said...

I'm so happy for them - and the envelope is amazing!! Jan described it to me, so I had an idea of what it looked like, but it's way better in blog (I haven't met it in person...)

Hooray for Jan and Lori!



And get better soon Kelly !!

Shayne said...

Congratulations, Jan and Lori! And what a great way to start an engagement, Kelly!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great story, and at 22 years Jan and Lori have already more of a true heart marriage than most people ever experience.

Yay for legal rights, Yay for California.