Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The King of Craft: John W. Golden

Dear Shayne,

I'd like to tell you about a totally awesome all-around craft guru I have only recently stumbled upon: John W. Golden. (Anyone reading this who is already familiar with John, please forgive me for being so late to the party!)

I found John last week via craftster. That link'll take you to his post, but here is his fantastic video on pouring resin. Really good stuff -- lots of great tips.

While I was watching the video, I thought to myself how surprising it was that he was sharing his "secrets," since he sells the wares that he makes during that video. By the end, though, I was sold myself! I immediately went to his Etsy shop and ordered myself this ring:
Fantastic resin ring

(Now I'm thinking I might also need the orange one. Right? Don't I?)

I spent a lot of time poking around this man's shop and I gotta say: Wow. He's a man of many talents. As I checked out his fantastic stuff, I realized I had been eying a print of his on the Etsy front page earlier in the day: Rayguns don't kill people, people with rayguns kill people. Hahaha! That's great! (Plus, I love the graphic.)

I also found his amazing photos of Paris that I think would go great in our Paris themed bathroom. (Don't you?) The "By Order of Management" signs would be fantastic in a kid's room (or even an adult's room!) In light of the recent sad news that Polaroid would no longer be making film, this print is bittersweet.

I love Chuck Taylors. You love your pug. And pink. And birds! We both love squirrels and robots. Really, I could go on and on -- check out John's shop. There's something for everyone.

I bought two other items from him, but one is a print and I'll show it to you once I've framed it. The other one is a gift and I don't want to spoil the surprise. I'm proud of myself for holding my purchase to only three items. Rest assured, I will be returning to John's shop again.

When I first found John, I was impressed with his willingness to share his techniques with the craft community. Once I looked at his work, I became even more impressed with the wide variety of art/crafts that he is producing -- he's a true inspiration for all crafters/artists/creators.

Ooh! I feel a burst of creativity comin' on!

love,
kelly

PS -- Are you sick of me raving about John yet? Too bad, cause I also wanted to mention that he keeps a blog. Check it out!

5 comments:

Elisabeth Zant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

That's so awesome!! I want them!

j0zzzz said...

Wow! Thanks for "introducing" John to me! Not only does he produce awesome stuff, but I love his open source attitude!

bettyninja said...

Neat! You do need the orange one.

So guess what Kelly? It was the direction of the bobbin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yeah. Now it is all fixed and sewing wonderful. I never used a drop in bobbin before- who would of thunk? Anyway- tomorrow is three cheers for Kelly on my blog day...Thanks!!

Shayne said...

Oooooh, great discovery! Gotta love pug paintings!