Sunday, May 04, 2008

I met the Yarn Harlot!

Dear Shayne,

Yesterday was a day made in crafty heaven. In the world of knitting, there is a very gifted and talented individual called The Yarn Harlot, also known as Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. She writes a hilarious blog and books about knitting and life -- even if you're not a knitter, her blog is fantastic and you should check it out.

Some knitter friends and I (Hi, Jan! Hi, Katie! Hi, Hollie!) went to the Maker Faire where the Yarn Harlot spoke and was, of course, hilarious. Really funny. She talked about knitters and knitting and had many true and funny and interesting things to say.

One thing that really struck me as true and funny was when she said (I'm paraphrasing): People think that knitters are generous. But [and I can say this because we're all knitters here], the reality is that we give things that we knit away because they didn't fit.

I burst out laughing when she said that because, as you know, I recently gave my Knucks to my mom when I finally conceded that they were too small for me. I laughed so hard and so loud that Stephanie heard me and said, "There's a lady who has recently given something away." And it's true!

We were sitting in the front row, which was great. She always takes pictures of the crowd, so you may even be able to see us in the photos when she posts them. I'll post a link if we show up there.

After she spoke, she signed books. This part is kind of a blur for me because I was super-duper nervous. I babbled a lot and it took me about 30 minutes to come down from a nervous high after we spoke. But she was great. Just great. Charming and nice and just what I would have hoped.

Here she is, signing my book:
Yarn Harlot signing

And here is my signed book:
Yarn Harlot book

Of course, I made buttons:
Yarn Harlot button

It's the next day and I'm still a little bit buzzy about the whole thing! Whee!

love,
kelly

PS -- I also bought some stuff at Bazaaar Bizarre, where there was an amazing selection of crafters selling their wares -- I'll post about that later.

2 comments:

Ms. Ganshirt said...

Squee!!! for you!

Shayne said...

Awesome! How fun! I've been reading the Yarn Harlot's blog for awhile now, from your recommendation. Makes me want to learn how to knit :)