After going on and on yesterday about the amazing work of John W. Golden, I guess I should show you my own attempts at pouring resin, right? Weeellll... I'm not up to John's standards yet, that's for sure.
In summary: My friend Hollie and I tried it out, learned a lot, scrapped most of it, and are looking forward to our next attempt.
In the meantime, I'd say my best piece is this little chunk o' buttons heart:
No idea what I'll do with it. I used heart-shape ice cube trays from IKEA. It's cute, but far from perfect -- the release that we sprayed in the bottom of the mold (it's like Pam non-stick spray, but for resin) pooled and left pocks in many areas. Here's a hint on how bad it is: this photo looks blurry, but it's not -- it's the crappy texture of my resin. So I learned something with that one.
I also made this little "sewing shrine" out of an old measuring cup. It's difficult to see, but there are two resin layers in there: one of buttons, then one with a miniature dressform and a safety pin through a scrap of fabric:
I read somewhere that you can get rid of the bubbles in the resin by using a lighter near the surface while it's still wet. Unfortunately, I forgot the part about not getting too close because resin is flammable. We did have a moment of excitement as I said, "Oh. It's on fire!" (which caused poor Hollie's husband to whip around in fear), but I was able to put it out pretty quickly. If you click through to the bigger version of that photo, you can see that some of the buttons look "smoky." That's where the fire was. Oops. Another lesson learned.
I think that particular piece needs more layers. I would like to find more small sewing related items to put in there and give it at least twice the depth it has right now.
This last one was supposed to be a gift for Jenny (Hi, Jenny!) but I'm not thrilled with it:
It doesn't look too bad in this photo, but I forgot that curved surfaces distort, so the Scrabble tile looks oddly stretched in the middle. My plan was to put an eye screw into the top of it and make a pendant. I'll probably ruin it when I try that, so I may attempt this one again next time we try this activity.
All in all, we had a good time with our first attempt. We certainly learned a lot (both from our experiences and from John's video), so we'll try again soon. Stay tuned!