Monday, February 25, 2008

So much yarn...

Dear Shayne,

So much yarn, so little time...

I was quiet this weekend because I was at Stitches West, which is basically Yarn Mecca. I went last year but didn't buy any yarn. This year, I more than made up for it. Unfortunately, none of this yarn is Shayne-safe, but I have to share anyway. (Some of it's pink, so at least you can enjoy the view...)

The first yarn I bought was some super-crazy hand-spun. It was deeply discounted and I luurve it. Some folks don't like a bunch of "junk" spun into their yarns, but I don't mind it one bit. This yarn has all kinds of stuff in it. I'm thinking it might be a fun calorimetry.
Handspun yarn
(Technical specs: Pagewood Farm handspun in Pink. 4 oz/70 yds of wool, mohair, nylon, and silk.)

This next yarn is a yarn I have knit with before and love. I used it to make Jenny's blue hat. It's super-soft merino wool and it's totally scrumptious. I'm going to make a scarf out of these pretties:
Lovely soft malabrigo
(Technical specs: Malabrigo Worsted in colorway "Amoroso." 3.5 oz/216 yds of kettle dyed pure merino wool.)

This one just jumped out at me when I walked by and I had to have it. I don't have a project for it yet, but I'll figure something out. It's really dreamy and soft and I love this colorway -- it's kind of moody. Also, this isn't the easiest yarn to procure in shops, so I had to buy it while I was at the Yarn Fest, didn't I? Didn't I? Of course I did!
Beautiful Blue Moon Fiber Arts
(Technical specs: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Letitia in colorway "Henpecked." 3.5 oz/80 yds of handspun merino wool from Uruguay.)

Are you bored yet of my yarn photos? Too bad, cause there's more! In fact, the next one is pink, so I know you'll enjoy it...

The photo makes this little skein look big, but it's really, really small. Like, smaller than a fist. Which is what I quickly made around it when I found it at the bottom of a 50% off pile. I'm a sucker for angora (fuzzy!) but it's really expensive. So I bought myself this little ball of fluff on sale. There's hardly enough here to make anything... I'm thinking cuffs on a pair of mitts? Ooh... super-soft mitten cuffs! Yesss!
Angora!
(Technical specs: Lorna's Laces Angel in Pale Pink. 50 yds of dreamy, dreamy angora and lambswool. Also, the fluffy down from angels' wings. Or something like that. Gotta be.)

This next yarn will someday be fingerless mitts. I wear a fair amount of blue and am always cold at my office, so these will get used frequently. I like the denim-y look of it. Again this yarn is very, verrrry soft. Me like-y soft yarn:
Very soft alpaca/pima blend
(Technical specs: Catalina Baby Pima in colorway "Denim Heather." 218 yds of 60% baby alpaca and 40% pima cotton.)

The final yarn I bought was a total indulgence. Cashmere. Just typing the word feels luxurious. This little ball is enough to make a small lacy neck-warmer. Really, what more do you need when it's cashmere? I'm thinking perhaps a little cowl? Hrm. This is another photo where you can't really tell that the ball of yarn is very, very small.
Oooh... cashmere!
(Technical specs: Windy Valley [no website that I can find] cashmere in colorway 2009. 1 oz/218 yds of 100% delicious cashmere.)

As I was wrapping up the yarn photo shoot, Kaesea decided to check things out. I think here he's saying, "Cashmere may be soft, but it is as soft as me? I think not."
Kaesea checking out the cashmere.

And then the photo shoot abruptly ended when Biscuit came in. Look at him -- I think he is totally ready to take a bite here! Darned yarn-eating cat. Sheesh.
Biscuit checking out the cashmere.

And that is what I spent the weekend doing. Now I guess I'd better get started knitting some of this stuff up!

love,
kelly

2 comments:

Ms. Ganshirt said...

I can't say that I blame Biscuit for wanting to eat that cashmere...it looks delicious!

Shayne said...

Oh my gosh, that is too much pretty, fluffiness for one post. I bet you had a blast! Have fun knitting up so many wonderful things. And thanks for the kitty pictures :)