Thursday, December 20, 2007

Randy's Birthday Party - Before

Dear Kelly,

EDIT: We postponed the party to the 5th. So close to Christmas turned out to be a bad idea.

Have you ever eaten at Buca di Beppo? It's a small Italian chain with super yummy food and hilarious, kitschy Italian and Catholic decor. Most notable, for parties 10-20, there is The Pope Room...round with a huge round table and right smack in the center a bust of The Pope (in plexiglass for his protection).

We had my sister's 30th birthday party there six-seven years ago. Randy has never been there, but had heard the tales and has been anxious to go. The place is an hour away, so we hadn't made it yet.

His 31st birthday was Wednesday, so I booked The Pope Room for this Saturday. I've gotta say, this is going to be the best birthday party ever, because

1. I made the best party favors ever!














Yes, they are Pope Randy puppets. I photoshopped his picture with some clip-art, had them printed at Kinkos on cardstock, laminated them (if you don't have a laminator, Target has a great little one for $37.99), cut them out, and attached them to extra large popsicle sticks with my ATG tape gun.

2. While running errands the other day, I popped into a party store on a whim and found a nice pope-like hat with the Mardi Gras stuff, as well as a scepter. Then my mom and I went completely overboard at Joann's to get materials for a cape. I spent some quality time in my craft room while Randy was at work today and glued and sewed.














I started with purple polar fleece (too cheap to get velvet) and glued wide, tacky gold ribbon all around. I also glued on a medal applique to fancy things up even more. I actually hand-sewed a gold frog closure to the collar. I also got a birthday medallion and a big, blingy "R" that was with the Christmas ornaments to wear around his neck.

I will be sure to post pictures of Randy wearing these lovely thing after the party!

Love,
Shayne

1 comment:

kelly said...

Yes, I have been to Buca. These Randy masks are going to be a total hit there! They're great!

I'm so impressed with your dedication to really poping him out!