Friday, August 24, 2007

Duh.

Dear Kelly,

So I've been under the weather for a few months now and try to spend as much time as possible in bed. (I think I've come to the end of the Internet during this time.) Last weekend it finally occured to me....I could do some kind of needlework in bed!

I went to the craft store to get something to stitch and happened by the plastic canvas supplies. I've never done anything with plastic canvas. Next only to crocheted dolly toilet paper cozies, I've always thought that plastic canvas is the tackiest craft a crafter can craft. Imagine my surprise when I saw that there was not only rough, primary-colored yarn, but metallic cord. Sparkly black, silver, pale pink, HOT PINK metallic cord! I bought up a bunch of supplies and headed home to think of a design.

I decided on a simple skull in hot pink and black and got started. Did you realize that there is no white space when working with plastic canvas? Nooo, my friend, you must stitch through every single hole. I thought it was going to take me a year to finish a four-inch square. Or four days that felt like a year.

I finished it last night and shoved it in the scanner this afternoon. The scan doesn't do the sparkliness (did I just make up a word?) justice, but here you go:




Love,
Shayne

3 comments:

kelly said...

Yay! Glad to see you crafting!

Your post reminds me that I never posted my grandma's contribution to the Skeleton Bathroom: a plastic canvas tissue holder... with skulls on it! Wow! I should post it!

Your skull is super-cute. I admire your stick-to-itiveness in the face of adversity. Go, you!

Shayne said...

Yea Grandma and plastic canvas!!!!

You know what would be awesome? A Dios de los Muertes-style crocheted toilet paper cozy!

Anonymous said...

Who knew that plastic canvas could actually be...cool?!

Very cute!