Monday, April 09, 2007

Sewing machine cover (that took waaaay too long to make)

Dear Shayne,

I've been thinking for awhile that I need a sewing machine cover. After getting it serviced last month, I decided that it really would be a good idea (cat fur + delicate mechanisms = not so good). So hey -- I'll make one. It's a rectangular box, right? Easy-peasy, right?

Riiiightt...
Sewing machine cover

Except (of course) I can't just make some simple thing. It's gotta be all patchwork-y and quilted and fancy-shmancy and all. And then, as I'm nearing the finish line (of a project that already feels self-indulgent with its time consumption), I realize: Oh, yeah. It's too short.

The irony (in two parts):
1. It was originally longer, but I cut it down to this shorter size. (Don't ask. I don't know why.)
2. After I cut it down, I thought, "Gee, I wish there was more of that fabric around the bottom showing." Wish granted! Er, yay.

I should have taken a picture of it in its sickeningly too-short stage, but I did not. Instead, I did something totally weird and cockamamie (does anyone even use that word anymore? Sheesh.) to fix it. It looks decent from the outside but do not, I repeat, do NOT ever look at the lining of my sewing machine cover. It's hell under there. Really.

But it's done. And it's tall enough to cover the whole thing and it sure as heck took long enough to make! The best part about it (looking for the happy, here) is that I used some of my all-time favorite stash fabrics, so it's nice to see them every day. Aww.

Still... what a pain.

love,
kelly

2 comments:

Shayne said...

This is so gorgeous I don't even know what else to say...it's gorgeous!!! Who cares what the inside looks like?

Teresa C said...

It is a little ironic that I come across this post in a search today after I posted about my sewing machine cover that took waaaay to long to make. A series of unfortunate events made it take even longer and I decided to use a pattern for a change, instead of designing one myself. Well sort of. Ha, you made me laugh. Love your cover!