Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I can't stop embroidering!

Dear Kelly,

A month or so ago I was invited to embroider jeans at Madewell for their Denim After Dark event. (This was on the same night that Jenny Hart did the very same thing in Austin!) I figured that I could do anything for two hours for the amount of money they paid me, but I also figured that I wouldn't ever want to embroider again. This would have been quite justified because, really, have you ever embroidered jeans? It's hard to get through something that thick and for two hours, to boot.

The strange thing is I had so much fun that I can't stop embroidering!

The even stranger thing is that I'm finishing what I start!

So far I've been using Sublime Stitching patterns. I also recently bought some cute ones from Pimp Stitch. Right now I'm practicing going freehand because I'm going back to Madewell next month.

I have embroidered little hats for a friend who recently had a baby girl:





I embroidered these napkins I had lying around and sent them to my mom:



I embroidered two sets of these cocktail napkins I found on clearance at Target:



I did these Rs freehand - they came out remarkably consistent:



And at a DC Craft Mafia meeting on Saturday, I rocked out these little images on flour sack towels:



Since I am lucky enough to work from home, I've found that conference calls where I don't need to take notes are the perfect time to embroider! Family Movie Night is another good time.

I'm actually crafting and enjoying myself - it's a crafty miracle!

Love,
Shayne

P.S. Should we share the exciting news?

4 comments:

kelly said...

You're an embroidering fool! I know how it is -- I love to embroider and whenever I pick it up again, I cannot stop myself. Nice work here -- lovely stitches!

The exciting news? You mean that we're going to be on the same side of the "craft-inent" in May? You betcha!

(Do you think with all of our combined craftiness out here on the west coast, the weight of our Pure Awesome will finally break California off into the ocean? You cannot stay too long, so that you can run back east and re-distribute the Crafty Greatness!)

Shayne said...

Yes, *that* exciting news! I should be able to buy my plane ticket on Friday!!!

I would like to keep the natural disasters to a minimum during my visit, so we should probably tone down the craftiness ;)

Can I embroider on a plane?

Castro Valley Farmers Market said...

OMG that cake is so cute!

EricaBurnsDesigns said...

Yay Shayne! Way to go!