Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Craft from the past: Latch hook!

Dear Shayne,

While we were visiting my parents last week, my mom uncovered the following Craft o' My Youth:



Wow. Latch hook.

That tasty little piece of business is about 14 x 14 inches. When I saw it, I said, "Oh, I think I was going to make that into a pillow..." Moments later, my mom pulled out a Joann Fabrics bag with a bit of matching fabric in it. The back of the pillow!

This is how I know that the Craft Procrastination Habit runs deep within me -- an unfinished project from when I was 11. It's been sitting in that bench for 23 years!

(It will remain unfinished.)

The best part about the find might have been the Joann Fabrics bag -- check out the font and colors on this puppy. I guess we really are old enough for items from our youth to be "retro."


Right after I took these photos, I disposed of both of these items. I've been trying to get rid of excess junk for a few years and this little project definitely does not make the cut. I did take that fabric, though. Never know when you might need it! (Baby steps... baby steps...)

love,
kelly

2 comments:

Shayne said...

I'm impressed that you even finished the latch hook portion of the project :) I don't think I've ever finished one. I do keep thinking it would be cool to get the backing (it's like $8 for a large piece) and different fancy yarns and fibers and textures (non-woolly). Could just pull different pieces at random.

kelly said...

I'm surprised myself that that part of it was completed, actually. I think there were many *other* latch hook projects started but never finished.

I've been trying to think of ways to update this dated craft. (Like bringin' back plastic canvas!) I think it would be neat to make an actual rug with it, but to trim the yarn -- the shag is gross to me. I could make a skull rug for the bathroom!