Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dill-icious potato salad

Dear Shayne,

Despite my well documented black thumb (That plant died soon after that post. Who kills catnip, Shayne? Me. I do.) I decided to attempt to grow dill this year. There is a local cafe that makes the best potato salad I have ever had -- super dill-y. Riding high on that experience, I decided to try it myself.

Amazingly, my dill plant has almost doubled in height since I bought it five weeks ago! I sent my mom this photo two days ago and asked her what to do:
Dill plant, getting tall

She told me that I needed to trim it down before it gets too tall and goes to seed. She knows about plants, so I did that. And then I chopped up all of that dill and made:
Dill-icious potato salad

Potato salad!

I googled "dill" and "potato salad" and found this recipe. It uses sour cream instead of mayo, which I love and it's very, very basic, which I also love. I'm a very picky eater, so I can't stand a bunch of junk in my food.

I've never made potato salad, so I did screw up two parts: not enough potatoes and they were slightly overcooked. Sooo... it was kind of mushy. A little. Not super gross, but just a bit mushy. But the dressing was dill-icious and my screw ups are easy fixes for next time.

Meanwhile, any time the words "potato salad" are uttered in our house, we are compelled to say, "Made it a thousand times, and I've still got a lot to learn!" If you are unfamiliar with this, it's from this Kids in the Hall sketch, which is hilarious:



"Mix, mix, stir, stir. I married young, it's all a blur."

HAHAHA. Bruce McCulloch kills me.

love,
kelly

1 comment:

Shayne said...

I killed catnip. And a bunch of other little plants. I just don't remember to water them. I think I have three little cacti that are still alive. Good job on the dill! My grandma always used lots of dill in her mazto ball soup - yum!